Thursday 17 April 2014

Love Cooks - Rose Steam Bun

I’ve always have special craving for buns. My maternal aunt made superb pumpkin steam mantou that taste so soft, so fluffy that I just couldn’t resist. This time round the year, I managed to squeeze some time and try on this recipe I found over the net. I remember I did tried steaming mantou say some 5 year back and failed miserably…

Today I try my luck again with the kneading and proofing and finally steam it. I must admit, this wasn’t the best buns, wasn’t even close but edible.


Right before second proof, it is shaping time. I tried to braid my bun with every effort left in my bones and fail! Finally, decide to make it into cute buns, just show off to my hubby and my mother.  We all had a good laugh and my mother said as if I am playing ‘masak masak’ (the one we played when we were young girls) instead of making steam buns.


Alright, enough talks and lets get down to the recipe. I will come back with step by step photos on petal shaping soon. 

Ingredients:
1 cup of bao flour (I used Superwhite Bao Flour)
1 tablespoon active dried yeast (pre mix with 2 tablespoon of warm water for yeast activation)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup of water
Jumbo raisin to resemble Rose bud (optional)


Directions
1. Combine the flour, sugar and instant yeast in a bowl. Make a well in the center. Whisk water into the well of the dry ingredients. Knead until your dough comes together and then add in the vegetable oil and continue kneading (would be easier if your transfer to table top for kneading). If you own a breadmaker or a food processor powerful enough to knead dough, I HIGHLY recommend using it. The dough takes a long time to knead, about half an hour by hand. The dough will start out to be extremely sticky.  Keep kneading until the dough is no longer sticky and is elastic. You should be able to stretch the dough without it breaking right away.
2. Knead the dough into a ball shape. Take a large bowl and grease with oil.  Place dough into greased bowl and cover with a wet towel. Let it proof until it’s doubled in size, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.


3. Transfer to a clean surface. Divide the dough into two equal portions. You may add in some red food colouring to resemble pink colour rose petals.  Knead into 8 balls each portions. Roll flat each ball and cut into half.  Wrap each half piece overlapping the other half to resemble Rose petals. Cover with cling wrap, let rest for 45 minutes or triple in size.


4. Steam for 15 minutes over boiling water.

No comments:

Post a Comment